Few tips a nurse should follow to pursue her professional goals
If you want to take nursing as your full time career then you must pay attention to your professional development in order to grow and maintain your competence, improve professional nursing practice, and support achieving your career goals.
Once you have freshly graduated from any recognised nursing school, you will face different challenging situations on your first job and it can be a difficult journey. You may need to learn many latest technologies, deal with life and death situations all of a sudden, communicate with patient’s family members to provide help besides doctor demands to fulfil. Sometimes you may feel overwhelmed due to the hectic and stressful environment at your workplace. So here are a few tips that will help you to adjust yourself in workplace and start enjoying your nursing career.
- Remember, it is very common that fresher go through tremendous stress in the first few months of a nursing position. Since you have shifted from the role of a nursing student to a professional with some serious responsibilities in a short period of time, it is no surprise that it may take some adjustments. As you start getting accustomed to your new role, keep in mind that countless others have also went through this transition and learned to survive. Nurses, who have gone through those first 90 days of joining healthcare industry, can relate particularly to what you are experiencing currently and offer you helpful guidance.
- Don’t feel ashamed to speak up. Make sure you ask your instructor freely all the questions and doubts that come to your mind. Since you are dealing with life and death situations, your confusion regarding anything related to patient care can put patient’s safety to danger. Most of the tips for newbie nursing professionals will be to emphasize the significance of studying the medications of every patient you deal with.
- Build a team rapport with experienced and senior nurses at your workplace. Maintain a good gesture with your co workers as this would make a big difference in your workplace environment and you will feel much easier to function.
- A nurse is an important connection that holds patient care systematically together. Nothing can be done without the assistance of the nurse. They are the communication bridge that connects the doctors, surgeons, pharmacy, RT, PT, and so on to the patients and their health care.
- No matter how much knowledgeable you are about health related issues; always remember patients know their physical discomforts better than you do. You might fail to spot any critical symptom of patients if you don’t pay attention what is he trying to say or take them seriously. Also, don’t ignore patients’ demands just because sometimes they are causing annoyance to you. No matter how frequently they press their call button, just remain calm and pay attention to what they really need.
- Another important tip for new nurses would be to take care of themselves. It’s very common for new nurses to often fall sick during their first year of joining medical industry. But it can be avoided by taking precautions and maintaining hygiene properly. Take sufficient sleep and eat well to stay healthy and strong inside.
Things a man should do to show that he is a winner
If you want to get better in life then one should have certain things with them. It’s just about having materialistic life. It’s just that you have those things around you that show your value, self respect and confidence.
The following are the things which every man should own:
- Leather wallet: Always have a leather slim and quality wallet such as Bellroy rather than having a bulky one. If one wants to have a budget friendly one then they can go for Kinzd’s collection which has a slim and leather wallet. But make sure to choose the cards which you use on a weekly basis in your wallet. If you don’t need them then leave them at home.
- Dress shoes: Women always notice shoes. Even the clients and potential employers do notice shoes. So, make sure to invest in quality leather dress shoes which can be black or brown in color.
- Signature cologne: A signature scent is the one which separates men from boys. When it comes to style appeal men shouldn’t ignore using their signature scent. There are various brands of scents which are available in the market and you can choose accordingly.
- Well fitting pair of jeans: having a quality pair of jeans is versatile and fashionable to men. Whether you want to go for a formal look with tucked shirt, shoes and watch or just want to go with a white t-shirt and sneakers to get the casual weekend look jeans is the best choice. There are different brands of jeans which vary in quality and price.
- Leather belt: Always match belt color with dress shoes and don’t compromise on its quality.
- Appropriate drink glassware: Always have appropriate drink glassware. Understand which glass can be used for different drinks and keep them clean and on hand in the kitchen.
To some people, worries get more anxious with relaxation
According to a new research, those who try to relax might get more anxious as relaxing gets interrupts their worrying pattern. Though the intent of exercises to relax is for reducing anxiety, for few it might cause an opposite effect. The study concludes that relaxation gets conflicted with continuous worry in such kind of people. Michelle Newman is a professor of psychology and Hanjoo Kim, who is a graduate student in psychology were the authors of the study at Penn State University. According to the theory worrying is an attempt to pay in advance for something which might happen in the future.
Professor Newman says that this doesn’t actually help people. Professor also said that some people might also stay anxious so that they can prevent large shift in anxiety. She also said that the more you do, the more you will realize that you can do it, so it’s better to let yourself to be related. Though the mystery behind relaxation induced anxiety is not yet clear it can be avoided. According to them, those who have generalized anxiety disorder will fear sharp spike in negative emotion and hence will prefer to maintain negative affect than being relaxed.
The study included 96 college students out of which 32 participants were suffering from generalized anxiety disorder while 34 of them with major depressive disorder. And 30 participants were without any disorder who served as a control group. With relaxation exercise they started their experiment. Later the participants watched videos which researchers have selected to show their sadness or fear. Researchers had administered questionnaires with each participant so that they would know about their emotional shift. According to professor mindfulness training and other kinds of intervention can let people go and live the moments without any worry.
Hip fracture linked with vitamin B-6 and B-12
In general vitamins are very important for maintaining good health. But when consumed in excess it will damage the body. According to a recent study, intake of vitamin B can increase the risk of hip fracture. In United States, vitamins and mineral supplements are increasingly popular. About 52% of the adults in the US had some kind of supplements in 2011-2012. Though it might be mandatory for some people to take these supplements it can increase concern if they take more than what is needed. Insufficient and excess intake of vitamins and nutrients both can be harmful.
In this particular study, researchers focused mainly on vitamin B-12 and B-6 which has different roles in our body and is present in various foods. For a healthy person following a balanced diet is sufficient to get adequate amounts of these vitamins from food. People who take both vitamin B-12 and Vitamin B-6 are at higher risk of developing fractures. Scientists have got access to data from 75,864 postmenopausal women who were involved in nurse’s health study. They also had a track on their smoking status, medications, their recreational activities, BMI etc.
While the study was performed for 20 years on these women, it was observed that 2304 hip fractures. And the scientists were able to see some kind of relationship between hip fractures and vitamin B supplementation. It was observed that there was around 50% of increased risk of hip fractures in women who took vitamin B combination supplements than those who had lower intake of these vitamins. They also mentioned that women who had taken medium intake of these supplements were not at great risk.
The scientists also said that these higher levels of vitamin B was only associated with additional supplements and not because of intake of dietary foods. However how vitamin B-6 and B-12 increase the risk of fractures is not actually known. Studies also say that it can also be associated with ingestion of high levels of B-6. Experts also believe that higher dose of vitamin B-6 also causes neurological symptoms like ataxia and reduce muscle tone. These symptoms might later increase the risk of high fracture. Certain theories also say that higher levels of Vitamin B-6 might accelerate bone loss. In many cases, the authorities are not yet aware about the actual role of vitamin B-12 in causing hip fractures.